Respecting our environment is a shared responsibility for team members and partners.
At GPC Asia Pacific we genuinely care for the environment and strongly manage our environmental footprint. As members of the Australian Packaging Covenant we review our packing materials and our procurement processes include a “buy recycled” policy. We actively maintain the GPC Sustainable Packaging Procedure through targeted product and packaging specifications and requirements. In our Ashdown-Ingram business, we’ve engaged our customers in our “Corse4Kids” recycling initiative where old starter motors, alternators and other scrap metal are recycled, the proceeds of which are donated to the Starlight Children’s Foundation.
GPC Asia Pacific has implemented a lead recycling program with our supplier of 12 V automotive lead acid batteries. Through this program over 400 tonnes of lead has been recycled. We have continued replacement of current lighting and devices with more energy efficient items, resulting in a reduction in consumption of over 1,000,000 kilowatt hours. Vehicles in our fleet that are renewed are done so with smaller and more economical vehicles.
Other initiatives include follow me printing to reduce paper consumption, LED lighting programs, sensor lighting in new location fit-outs, a review of our waste management which has resulted in 41% of waste being diverted from landfill and into recycling processes and many more initiatives as outlined below.
Environmental and sustainability initiatives
Some of our many initiatives include:
- Ethical product sourcing and strict supplier compliance frameworks
- Sustainable procurement policies that encourage the best in our partners
- Strict emissions compliance in Australia and New Zealand
- Signatory to the Australian Packaging Covenant
- Automotive oil and battery recycling programs
- Energy reduction through awareness, education and smarter designs and systems
- Installing energy saving smart devices and sensors
- Waste reduction and recycling education and awareness
- Recycled paper products for catalogue production and office printing
- Paper reduction through online systems and paperless stock management
- Targeted marketing materials delivery for greater efficiency and less waste